Thursday, September 17, 2015

My thoughts on the best granola I ever tried

I recently received some Kashi products to sample.  One of the products was Kashi Organic Promise cocoa coconut with kamut granola.  That name is a mouthful but is worth remembering. 

I usually like granola, but it can be high calorie and high fat.  While this one has 130 calories for 1/3 cup, it is well worth it.  It is not like other granolas.  First, it is chocolate.  What a nice treat.  This was delicious with a little milk, but would also be wonderful on top of yogurt. 

Some other key information is that this is organic, non-GMO, no artificial additives or preservatives and it contains kamut.  Kamut is khorasan wheat which is higher in protein and many minerals, compared to modern wheat.  Kamut  khorasan wheat can be described as “high energy wheat.” People looking for high energy food will find products made with kamut khorasan wheat a valuable addition to their diet.

I'm thrilled that this is a healthier version of granola, but what kept going through my mind is that this would make a great pie or cheesecake crust.  So, that's what I'm going to try next.  If I can only keep my husband's hand out of the bag!!!  Do you think it's ok to hide it?

Over the next few days I'm going to try making a pie crust using this delicious cocoa coconut with kamut granola.  When I come up with a recipe that is fabulous, I will be sure to post it. 

As an FYI, I also received a bag of cranberry spelt and flax granola.  It was really good, too, and only had 110 calories and 3 grams of fat for 1/3 cup.  That's a lot lower than most granolas.  It held up really well to a bowl of milk and the flavors were fabulous.

It's hard to pick which is a favorite.  Mine is the chocolate coconut granola and my husband's is the cranberry granola.  I guess I'll have to buy them both.

Both are sold in 11 oz packages at a suggested retail price of $3.99.  For more details see www.kashi.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a former information technology girl who left the business and opened up a cooking school. Cooking and entertaining are my passions and I love to share this passion with others. I am currently on hiatus from teaching classes, but hope to begin offering them soon. In the meantime, enjoy the tips. Students always told me how much they loved the tips and now you can, too. I'll put out a new tip each day.