Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The easiest ever chocolate flavored caramel recipe


I was recently given some chocolate flavored Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk to test.  I make caramels a lot but have wanted to make chocolate flavored caramel.  Since the ingredients to my homemade caramels can be expensive, I didn't want to play around with the recipe and waste them, so I searched for a simple caramel recipe that did not use a lot of ingredients.  When I found one, I realized it would be the perfect recipe to try out the chocolate flavored Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk.  It was quick, easy, and only used a few ingredients.

I had to make a few changes to the original recipe and completely reworked their instructions to work with the chocolate, but boy, am I glad I tried this out.  This caramel is good, soft, versatile and chocolate flavored. 

As a side note, I used this caramel to swirl into a batch of blondies.  I'll post this recipe, too, but I have to say, ummm, ummm, good.


Five Ingredient Chocolate Caramel 

·       11 tbsp butter
·       ½ cup granulated sugar
·       3 tbsp light corn syrup
·       14 oz can chocolate flavored sweetened condensed milk
·       ½ tsp vanilla 

1.     In a medium sauce pan melt butter.  Stir in sugar until it is dissolved.  Stir in corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk. 

2.     Bring to a boil, then decrease to a simmer. Stir constantly.  You will notice that the bubbles become like volcanos as it thickens.  Using a thermometer cook until the caramel reaches 245° (at low altitude).  In Prescott, the temperature should reach 235°. 

3.     Pour caramel into an 8x8 pan that has been lined with parchment paper and then buttered.  (Can be glass or metal, but if you have a silicone pan, you can skip the parchment paper; just butter the pan directly.)  Allow the caramel to cool completely.   

4.     When cool, you can either cut in squares and wrap in waxed paper, or use in other recipes.

Eagle Brand chocolate flavored sweetened condensed milk is only available for the holidays so if you want to make this, run, do not walk, to your local grocery store to buy some.  While you're at it, I recommend you buy several cans since it will not be available after the holidays.  I have only seen this at Fry's and Walmart so check your local stores to see if you can find it.

Watch for my recipes using the caramel flavored sweetened condensed milk.  I'll be posting them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a former information technology girl who left the business and opened up a cooking school. Cooking and entertaining are my passions and I love to share this passion with others. I am currently on hiatus from teaching classes, but hope to begin offering them soon. In the meantime, enjoy the tips. Students always told me how much they loved the tips and now you can, too. I'll put out a new tip each day.