Sunday, November 1, 2015

The perfect pumpkin scone recipe

Pumpkin Scones
fresh out of the oven
I have been playing around with various versions of my scones to come up with the perfect pumpkin scone.  Up until now, I have not been happy with any of them.  However, the other day I found a recipe from King Arthur Flour that looked pretty good, so I decided to try it. 

For those of you that know me, I can't leave any recipe alone, so I did put some of my changes into the recipe, but I have to say, they were pretty good.

My family loves cinnamon chips that are often only available around the holidays, so when I see them, I buy several bags.  Lucky for me, I still had a few bags in the freezer, so it was easy to pull all the ingredients together.

This recipe also calls for crystalized ginger.  I often buy a large bag of diced crystalized ginger from Penzeys but lots of stores carry it year round, too.  If the ginger is not in small pieces, just cut it to the size you want.  Easy peasy.

Oftentimes I will have to rework recipes to fit my high altitude location.  This one came out pretty good without any adjustments, although I did bake them a shorter time than the original recipe stated.  So my baking times show a wide range.  Always start checking at the lower end of a range with any recipe you make, but know that at high altitude, that's where you will probably end up.  I like to look at the bottom of the scone and it it's starting to get lightly browned...it's ready.

Pumpkin Scones
Based upon a recipe from King Arthur Flour
Makes 12 scones
 
·       2 ¾ cups All purpose flour
·       cup Granulated sugar
·       1 tbsp  baking powder
·       ¾  tsp salt
·       1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
·       ½  cup cold butter
·       12 oz bag Cinnamon chips
·       4 oz Crystallized ginger
·       cup canned pumpkin
·       2 large eggs
·       coarse white sparkling sugar, for topping 

1) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. 

2) Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.  You can do this with a pastry blender, but I prefer using my impeccably clean hands. 

3) Stir in the ginger and cinnamon chips.   

4) In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and eggs till smooth. 

5) Add the pumpkin/egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.  It will look like a ‘hot mess’ but keep mixing.  It will come together nicely. 
6) Flour your surface then scrape the dough onto floured surface.  Divide the dough into two halves. I like to weigh the dough to assure everything is even, but you do not have to.  Round each half into a 6-7” circle .

7) Using a knife or bench scraper, slice each circle into 6 wedges. Carefully separate the wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet (or parchment paper or Silpat, if desired) making sure there is at least 1/2" space between them.  

8) Brush each scone with milk, and sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar.   

9) For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered. While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F.  

10) Bake the scones for 15 to 25 minutes, or until they're golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean, with no wet crumbs.  The scones bake quicker at high altitude than they do normally.  Remove the scones from the oven, and serve warm. Wrap any leftovers airtight, and store at room temperature or freeze. Reheat very briefly in the microwave, if desired.
 
One note...the original recipe had a lot of people saying this was not sweet enough, but they showed the mix-ins as optional.  I found that this was definitely sweet enough using the mix-ins as defined.  If you play with the mix-ins, you may want to adjust the sugar in the recipe.
 
Oh yes, one last thing...you can purchase coarse sugar at a craft store or some grocery stores.  However, you can also use demerera sugar if you like.  It is available at most grocery stores.
 
So enjoy the Fall season and the flavors of fall.  This one is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a former information technology girl who left the business and opened up a cooking school. Cooking and entertaining are my passions and I love to share this passion with others. I am currently on hiatus from teaching classes, but hope to begin offering them soon. In the meantime, enjoy the tips. Students always told me how much they loved the tips and now you can, too. I'll put out a new tip each day.