Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What can you do with corn cobs after the corn is removed?

It's that time of year where fresh corn is at its best and this is the time of year where it's really affordable.    Corn on the cob is so much more than just corn.  The cob has some great uses, too.

So once you've removed the corn from the cob, what do you do with the cob?  There are lots of things  I like to do with them.  My favorite way to use them is to place the cobs in a saucepan.  Cover the cobs with water and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat down and simmer the cobs for about 45 minutes.  Remove the cobs and you have a great corn stock.  So what do you do with the corn stock?  Well, this time, I'm going to use it to make soup.  I love to make tortilla soup and using the corn stock is a great way to add lots of corn flavor to the soup.

And you thought that corn cobs were just a waste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a former information technology girl who left the business and opened up a cooking school. Cooking and entertaining are my passions and I love to share this passion with others. I am currently on hiatus from teaching classes, but hope to begin offering them soon. In the meantime, enjoy the tips. Students always told me how much they loved the tips and now you can, too. I'll put out a new tip each day.