Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Can you really make liqueur out of peach pits? Yes, you can!

Peach Pit Liqueur after
it has 'done it's thing'

I recently received about 40 pounds of peaches from a friend and spent days preparing everything peaches.  I had a ton of peach pits and wanted to know what to do with them.  I found that they do have their uses.  In this case, they were being turned into peach liqueur.

How do you make peach liqueur, you ask?  It's easy.  A friend gave me this recipe and I'm in the process of making some right now.  Here's what you do:

Peach Pit Liqueur

1 pint peach pits
3 cups 80 proof vodka
1 cup water

2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground or whole coriander seed

Pour vodka and water over peach pits and infuse in the sun for 6 weeks. 
 
Take 1 cup pits crush (hammer works well) and return to jar and infused for another 2 weeks. (Note that this was really difficult so we crushed a few and left the rest whole.)
 
Strain and add sugar and spices.  Leave in a cool dark place for another several weeks... its a slow to meld liqueur but worth the wait.
 
(at the time of writing this tip---) Mine is two weeks into the process right now so we'll have to wait to see how it turns out.  It is supposed to taste like amaretto so I see holiday gifts coming.


Peach Pit Liqueur --
ready for gifting
After the time was up (and just in time for the holidays), we got the most incredible liqueur.  This is one of the flasks that will be given as gifts.  Not only will this be wonderful over ice, but it's a nice thing to drizzle over some vanilla ice cream.

One last thing...on the bottom of the initial jar used to create this concoction, there was a small layer of peach infused sugar.  I didn't notice it until after I poured off the liqueur.  I decided to take the sugar and turn it into a drizzle for pancakes.  You just have to try that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a former information technology girl who left the business and opened up a cooking school. Cooking and entertaining are my passions and I love to share this passion with others. I am currently on hiatus from teaching classes, but hope to begin offering them soon. In the meantime, enjoy the tips. Students always told me how much they loved the tips and now you can, too. I'll put out a new tip each day.