Saturday, July 2, 2016

Make peach pit liqueur for an unforgettably easy and delicious recipe

Its that time of year where peaches are readily available.  I love to make peach preserves but when I'm done, I have a million peach pits.  Rather than throw them out, I wanted to find a way to use them.  A friend of mine said she likes to make peach pit preserves.  I got her recipe and with a few modifications, got to this fabulous liqueur.

Do not let the appearance of this liqueur scare you.  This is what it looks like when it's in the jar 'becoming liqueur'.  Once it's strained, it is beautiful.  I gave it as a gift one Christmas.  It's nice over ice cream or mixed into a drink.

One other thing...you may have some peachy sugar left in the jar when you are ready to bottle this.  DO NOT DISCARD.  I kept it in the fridge and used it to make a delicious syrup for waffles and drizzled some over sautéed fruit (such as peaches, apples and pears).  

 

Peach Pit Liqueur

1/2 quart peach pits
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground or whole coriander seed
3 cups 80 proof vodka
1 cup water

Pour vodka and water over peach pits and infuse in the sun for 6 weeks.  I used a large mason jar for this.


Take 1 cup pits crush (hammer works well) and return to jar and infused for another 2 weeks. (I was unable to break my peach pits no matter how hard I tried, so I omitted this step)

Strain and add sugar and spices.  Leave in a cool dark place for another several weeks  This is a slow to meld liqueur, but worth the wait.

You can store this in a mason jar or decant into beautiful decanters.  I store this in the fridge but that is just me.  You may be able to keep it in your liqueur cabinet, but I cannot guarantee that.

I hope you enjoy making and sharing this fabulous liqueur.

 What a nice gift to give.  I found this beautiful food safe decanter and filled it with delicious peach pit liqueur.



 

I used the 'leftover' flavored sugar on the bottom of the jar to start this syrup, but you can also make a syrup with the liqueur alone.  This was so good.  Keep in mind, this is NOT FOR KIDS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a former information technology girl who left the business and opened up a cooking school. Cooking and entertaining are my passions and I love to share this passion with others. I am currently on hiatus from teaching classes, but hope to begin offering them soon. In the meantime, enjoy the tips. Students always told me how much they loved the tips and now you can, too. I'll put out a new tip each day.